Sunday, June 23, 2024

Journey with the Big C Chapter 4 - 1st Treatment

 Life calls the tune, we dance.

John Galsworthy 

    How true. Dancing to the tune of life. And I'm a terrible dancer...😅

When I went for my next appointment, I was told that the doctor would do a lumpectomy. Which meant that the doctor would take the tumor and its surrounding tissue out. Since it was small enough, the doctor would do the procedure in a daycare operation room using a local anaesthetic and I can go home directly afterwards. It seemed a simple enough procedure, right? Minimal pain and I didn't have to stay in the hospital.

D-day. 

You know Murphys Law? It happened to me. The doctor said the lump was small, right? Nope, it was bigger and deeper than they initially thought. And the local anaesthetic would numb the area? Nope, I could feel every cut, every laser burn. Halfway through the procedure I was literally begging the doctor to put me to sleep, the pain was so unbearable. Towards the end, I was shaking uncontrollably that the doctor and the nurse had to restrain me. I think I developed PTSD after that and I am deathly afraid of going back to daycare. 

Was the pain worth it? Nope. They didn't get all the tumor out. No clear margin, the report said. It felt like a death sentence.

Peace.

No comments:

Work from Home