Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Obituary

No man/woman is worth your tears and the one that is won't make you cry.

Jennifer Ross

I've been rereading my old postings and I realised that I catch up on news quite a bit lately. Maybe it's because my postings are getting few and far between. The thing is, I've been awfully busy lately. Ever since the year starts, I've been working non-stop, it seems. Even on weekends.

Okay, today's posting is not about me, but my aunt. She passed away on the 15th of last month. What can I say about her? To other people, she was a leader, someone they looked up to. She was full of life, always cheerful, always ready to help, never once refused help to anybody who needed it. She's generous beyond fault, to the extent of giving away presents on her birthday. She had her faults, for sure. She's a real dragon, if she could breathe fire, I think she would have. She had a quick temper that flared up at the slightest comment. Her look could freeze you on your tracks. Her students stood in awe and terror at the sight of her. And they loved her.

To me, she's my aunt. My mother's youngest sister, who had done so much for our family. She herself had never married, but she surrounded herself with nieces and nephews that she supported throughout the years. She was our surrogate mom when my mom passed away. I still can't believe she's gone. Sometimes I forgot and pretended she's off somewhere on one of her trips and will come back soon. And then I remembered.

I cried a little bit at her funeral, most probably because other people were crying. But I think I was in denial. The fact has not sunk in, even to this day. I could rationalise it...maybe this...probably that...but the thing is, I haven't accepted the fact that I am now bereft of aunts and uncles on my mother's side. She was the last of my mother's siblings.

It's our turn next.

Until next time...

No comments:

Work from Home