Sunday, October 5, 2008

Dementia

You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez
Let's see. My last posting was in August. I thought I posted in September. Apparently not. Sign of old age? Probably.
I read in the news today that every few minutes a person is diagnosed with dementia. It's caused by changes in the brain function. One of the most common symptoms is memory loss (the inability to remember recently learned facts and acquiring new information). I sometimes have that problem, but I think it's mainly due to my lack of attention to details. I usually have a problem with names of people (although that is corrected by regular use of that particular person's name), but my biggest problem is with dates. I always have a problem remembering what today's date is. I don't have a problem with the day of the week, but it's the date of that gets me. My kids would remind me (with a patient smile) and think it's all so funny. I don't think so. It's kind of embarassing, really.
My grandma suffered from dementia, so's my eldest aunt. My mom showed signs of dementia whenever her glucose level dropped. Usually after a dialysis. Or when her urea level rose before dialysis. Does dementia runs in the family? I have absolutely no idea. I hope not.
In order to prevent dementia, we should live an active life, both physically and mentally. Studies suggested that a Mediterranean diet or a supplement of beta carotene could ward off dementia. The main thing is eat right, exercise and study new things. Keep body and mind active. The Moslems believed that reading the Quran can also prevent dementia. This means that sitting and watching the idiot box all day is not a good idea. Ah well, all good things must come to an end, eventually.
Until next time.

No comments:

Work from Home